- This article is about lore concerning Affliction. For the Warlock specialization, see Affliction abilities.
By their very nature, demons are astral leeches on the living universe—but the demonologist has mastered harnessing the astral power of these malefic beings on the field of battle. Warlocks harvest the souls of their defeated enemies; those specialized in the ways of demonology use this life essence to tap into the Void, pulling all manner of astral abomination from the astral chaos of the Twisting Nether. While such a practice is often considered by outsiders to be wicked and reckless, the demonologist maintains absolute control over the summoned creatures. These malignant astral entities are fully beholden to—and empowered by—the will of the warlock, until banished to the realm from whence they came.
Curse of Flesh
The Denizens of the Cosmos
An affliction caused many of the beings known as mechagnomes to degenerate into fleshly beings later known simply as gnomes.
With the loss of their immortality, the night elves as a race had begun to experience afflictions that they had only witnessed in others.
The Professions of the Cosmos
Warlocks are magical practitioners who seek to understand darker, fel-based magics, including destructive spells. They’re able to hurt others both instantly and with ongoing afflictions. Affliction warlocks are masters of shadow-touched powers, but unlike shadow priests—deadliest when pushed to the brink of insanity—these warlocks delight in using soul shards to cause intense pain and suffering in others. They revel in corrupting minds and agonizing souls, leaving enemies in a state of torment that would see them undone in due time. Even the most battle-hardened warriors can be deceived, landing blow after blow against the warlock, only to succumb to their suffering as their very vitality is siphoned away by the dark spellcaster.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 113 on iBooks
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 81 on iBooks
- ^ a b World of Warcraft > Legion Class Preview Series: Warlock
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 pg. 264 on iBooks
- ^ Wolfheart, pg. 64 on iBooks
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 21
- ^ World of Warcraft > Game Guide > Classes > Warlock