|Casting time||Instant cast|
Ardent Defender is a paladin ability learned at level 70 for those with the Protection specialization. While reducing damage taken, it will also heal paladins for a percentage of their maximum health if struck by a blow that would otherwise kill them.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Ardent Defender has a new spell effect.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Made an active ability. Now restores a fixed amount of health (15%).
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): The debuff from this talent being recently triggered is now removed upon entering an Arena match.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): Reduces damage that takes you below 35% health by 7/13/20%. (Down from 10/20/30%)
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Redesigned. Any damage that takes the paladin below 35% health is reduced. This reduction applies only to the portion that pushes the paladin below 35% health (example: a paladin at 50% health takes a 40% hit; the first 15% hits as normal while the next 25% is reduced). In addition, once every 2 minutes an attack that would have killed the paladin will fail to kill, and instead heal the paladin for up to 10/20/30% of maximum health depending on the paladin's defense rating (example: a paladin with defense equal to only 5 times his or her level will receive no healing from the talent, while a paladin who is immune to critical strikes from boss creatures through defense will receive the maximum amount). Old was "Any damage taken by the paladin while at 35% health or below is reduced."
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Reduced to 3 ranks for 10/20/30%.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): Reduces damage taken by 6-30% when below 35% health. Old was, "When you have less than 20% health, all damage taken is reduced by 10% per point."