|The subject of this article or section did not make it out of the beta stages of World of Warcraft or its expansions.
Azshara Crater was planned as a future Battleground located in Azshara. It was likely to be in southern Azshara, in the Forlorn Ridge. It was intended to work in a similar fashion to Alterac Valley. It is unknown what the specific goals of the battlefield would have been.
Battleground entrances were already placed within the zone, with the Alliance entrance on the south side of Forlorn Ridge and the Horde entrance on the north side. They are currently inactive as the Battleground itself has not been implemented, though the battleground itself exists in the game files.
At Blizzcon 2007, it was stated during an Q&A question that they had not decided if the Azshara Crater battlefield would be added. Developers stated that balancing Alterac Valley was a higher priority. A date was not given for the possible addition of the battleground.
In interviews, Jeff Kaplan confirmed that Azshara crater would not be included in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, although Blizzard acknowledged that they might return to work on further developing the battleground.
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Mention of Azshara Crater happened as early as Patch 1.3 (released 7 March 2005), but it was apparently never turned on in any PTR.
- A few official mentions occurred in early and late 2007, but there has been effectively no news until late 2011.
- It looks like this battleground may be resurrected for the Mists of Pandaria expansion, but also very little detail so far.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji079bBDCJ4
- ^ Blizzard Archive (official forums): 131. Warcraft Weekly - Episode 70 - Part II 03/01/2007 04:34:05 PST by Vaneras
- ^ http://wow.mondespersistants.com/?article=403&page_art=2
- ^ "World of Warcraft: Intro to Mists of Pandaria" preview panel (featuring Tom Chilton, Game Director; Cory Stockton , Lead Content Designer; and Greg Street, Lead Systems Designer) at BlizzCon 2011