Battle.net is Blizzard Entertainment's centralized account system for all their online games including World of Warcraft. For the the old site is still online for usage at classic.battle.net (the EU version is no longer available).
Less Battle.net, more Blizzard
Blizzard is moving away from using the "Battle.net" name for feature branding purposes and using "Blizzard" instead. Some early examples are "Blizzard Streaming" and "Blizzard Voice". The new name for Battle.net hasn't been formally announced.
Due to the slow transition away from using the Battle.net brand for some form of "Blizzard" branding, it is not clear how much of Blizzard web properties will stay and how much will transition to some other name. However, as of mid-late 2017, the transition will feature a "Blizzard Battle.net" brand of some sort before Battle.net disappears, which may add confusion before clarity. The preventing of comments to the announcement article and lack of detail makes it anyone's guess what the changes will look like. The gaming media consensus appears to think that Blizzard is pulling back from the rebranding.
- Main article: Battle.net API
A way to programmatically get data from Battle.net via the web.
- Main article: Battle.net Balance
Starting with the Diablo III beta test, a new feature called Battle.net Balance is available to store virtual currency purchased with real money to buy game-related services (character transfers, digital products like companions and mounts, and previously to purchase items in Diablo III's now removed real-money auction house).
Battle.net desktop app
- Main article: Battle.net desktop app
A multi-launcher hub for Blizzard games that gives new and status info.
Battle.net Gift Card
- Main article: Battle.net Gift Card
A plastic or virtual gift card for use in recharging your Battle.net Balance.
Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
- Main article: Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
A mobile authenticator app for Blizzard games.
- Main article: Battle.net Shop
Online store for Blizzard virtual goods. See Blizzard Gear for info on the store for physical goods.
World of Warcraft
Account merge available
Since spring 2009 World of Warcraft players can merge their accounts with their Battle.net account. The procedure is as followed, note that it cannot be reversed:
These steps may have changed.
- Create a Battle.net account
- Click the "Merge World of Warcraft account"
- Enter your World of Warcraft details
- Click the confirm button
- You now login with your Battle.net account in World of Warcraft.
On Oct. 12, 2009, it was announced that WoW accounts would need to be converted into Battle.net accounts within 30 days. This is mandatory, as a Battle.net account will be required to log into the game after Nov. 11, and anyone who wants to start a new WoW account has to make a Battle.net account first. Anyone who had converted their account before Nov. 11 would be mailed in-game a new penguin companion in thanks for converting early, starting later the week of the announcement. The first companions were mailed to players three days later, on Oct. 15, 2009.
Once your WoW account has been converted, the current expansion that you play will show up as a 'merged game' in your Battle.net account. If your WoW account has an authenticator attached to it, it will also be transferred over.
New Community Sites
Change of look
Around mid-January 2014, the look of the front page blog listing and the bylines on the battle.net community sites. The listing added larger thumbnails on the left and the bylines were simplified (originally in the US form "by author month #, year hh:mm AM/PM TZ" and changed to "author MM/DD/YYYY"; EU form "by author # month YYYY hh:mm TZ" and changed to "author DD/MM/YYYY").
Starcraft II beta opt-in
When the Starcraft II beta was upcoming, Blizzard allowed people with a battle.net account to opt-in for it. However they require you to have at least 1 Blizzard game linked with your battle.net account.
Your Battle.net account is directly linked to your Blizzard Store account and purchases should show up on your Battle.net account. So far Battle.net Balance cannot be used to purchase from the Blizzard Store.
- Many features of the old community sites have not been added back.
- There were many pages describing basic aspects like item quality, intros to in-game holiday events, zone level recommendations, and maps.
- Not all lore pages on the old community sites have been added back.
- Search has less functionality in some areas than old community sites.
- There is no advanced search (not requiring special codes) for the forums.
- New versions of previous Blizzard single-player games (Diablo III, StarCraft 2) are now force to connect to Battle.net for authentication continuously while playing the game, even when no actual gameplay content is being provided over the network.
- Account security: General tips - World of Warcraft (WoW) / Battle.net
- Chrome 50 (through 53?) cannot log into battle.net.
- For previously single-player games, Battle.net also serves as the authentication web site to play recent Blizzard games.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2016-09-21. “Battle.net” Update. WorldofWarcraft.com (US).
- ^ Andy Chalk 2016-09-21. Blizzard is ditching the Battle.net name in favor of "Blizzard tech". PCGamer.com.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2016-09-21. “Battle.net” Update. WorldofWarcraft.com.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2017-08-14. Blizzard Battle.net Update. WorldofWarcraft.com.
- ^ Nick Statt 2017-08-15. Blizzard revives Battle.net and admits it made a mistake with rebranding. The Verge.
- ^ https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/blizzard-brings-back-the-battle-net-name-it-never-really-got-rid-of/
- ^ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzards-battlenet-gets-a-new-name-again/1100-6452520/
- ^ https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/14/16145854/blizzard-battle-net-name
- ^ | 2009-10-12 19:01 by Bornakk
- ^ The New World of Warcraft Community Site by Blizzard Entertainment // 04-Dec-2010 07:48:09 UTC
- ^ The New World of Warcraft Community Site by Blizzard Entertainment // Dec 4, 2010 7:05:40 AM UTC
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2013-03-08. Battle.net Balance FAQ (Article ID: 783). Battle.net Support (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2013-03-09. Battle.net Balance FAQ (Article ID: 783). Battle.net Support (EU).
- ^ http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749266448#post-19
- ^ https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=580770
- Battle.net API
- Battle.net Balance
- Battle.net desktop app
- Battle.net Gift Card
- Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
- Battle.net Shop
- Official forums
- Official site
End-User License Agreement