Death Grip is a beginning death knight ability that pulls the target directly to the death knight and forces it to attack. Based off testing on Growl and Dark Command this ability likely no longer suffers from a miss chance, prior to Patch 4.0.1, this ability could miss, preventing the target moving to the caster, however the forced attack function remains.
Death Grip functions like other taunt abilities, granting the death knight the threat of the mob's current highest-aggro target, in addition to forcing the mob to attack the death knight for 3 seconds. Some mobs (especially bosses) are immune to the forced movement mechanic, but the taunt effect remains.
This is a great way to make your group hate you. Death Gripping a mob away from the tank will make it hit you instead, and make it difficult for the tank to regain aggro.
This is also a great way to make your group like you. Caster mobs are difficult for a tank to deal with. Stand next to the tank and grip the caster over. Then switch to another target, letting the tank's AOE abilities build threat on the caster. It's now safely tanked.
If two death knights Death Grip each other simultaneously, they will be pulled to each other's previous location.
- Patch 5.0.4 (28-August-2012): Minor update.
- Patch 4.0.6 (8-Feb-2011): The tooltip has been updated to reflect the minimum distance of 8 yards in PvP.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Removed miss chance of this effect. (Untested, based of testing on and .)
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): Minimum range has been changed to 8 yards in PvP.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): This spell will no longer automatically cast on the nearest enemy when no valid target is selected.