|Casting time||Instant cast|
|Cooldown||30 sec (GCD 1.5 sec)|
Frost Nova is a core mage ability learned at level three. It is a point-blank area of effect spell that does light damage and freezes all enemies within 12 yards of the mage, rooting them in place for 8 seconds. Rooted enemies have a chance to break out each time they take damage; this check is made every time damage is dealt from any source.
Arcane specialization ability
Use Frost Nova to root enemies in place and then gain some range to cast spells without getting hit. This is especially effective against melee-only enemies, as they will not have any other way to attack you. Against caster-type enemies, use Frost Nova to gain range along with to interrupt their casting. Also use Frost nova to root enemies that you may have pulled off the tank, and allow them to regain aggro.
Frost Nova is an important ability in the frost specialization when is gained, as it is a guaranteed freeze effect. The Shatter ability works on any target rooted by one of your frost spells.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): The tooltip on this ability will now update properly from all talents which increase its damage by a percentage.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): The mana cost on these spells has been reduced by approximately 15%.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Will now properly overwrite the effect of Shattered Barrier and of Frostbite.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): Changed to crowd control. All targets over level 60 have a slightly larger chance to break out of crowd-controlling effects when they take damage.
- Patch 2.0.10 (2007-03-06): Increased the chance Frozen effects are broken when the target is critically struck by a spell.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Will now cause damage to targets immune to immobilizing effects.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Now subject to diminishing returns in PvP. This is considered an immobilizing effect.