In the lead-up to the release of Wrath of the Lich King expansion, Putress was an important figure during the second Scourge Invasion, who researched the zombie infestation from an apothecary camp in Shattrath City. Beginning on the fifth day of the outbreak, Horde players were able to undertake a quest in which he sent them as envoys to their racial capital with a severed head containing both the plague and an anti-plague, believing it to hold the secret of a cure.
It would appear that his research has led to his promotion as Grand Apothecary, as Master Apothecary Faranell is still alive and well in the Undercity and still leads the Royal Apothecary Society. When Warchief Thrall called for a meeting with other Horde leaders to discuss how to deal with the Scourge, Sylvanas Windrunner offers Putress' services to Thrall citing that his knowledge of the plague would make him a valuable asset in his campaign against the Lich King.
In Wrath of the Lich King, players help the Royal Apothecary Society develop the Forsaken blight, a new plague that not only affects living creatures but also causes fatal damage to undead beings. Shortly after the battle for Angrathar the Wrathgate begins and Dranosh Saurfang is slain by the Lich King, Putress appears on a cliff overlooking the battlefield and uses Forsaken catapults to unleash the newly developed plague on the unsuspecting forces gathered below. The losses on all sides are great, and perhaps the greatest loss is the death of the Alliance hero Highlord Bolvar Fordragon.
Soon after, it is revealed that Putress and several members of the Royal Apothecary Society had sided with Varimathras, who had secretly remained loyal to his nathrezim brothers and the Burning Legion while serving under Sylvanas Windrunner. Together, the two had orchestrated a coup d'état and forcefully taken control of the Undercity, nearly killing Sylvanas in the process. While Horde players band together with Thrall and Sylvanas to , assaulting it directly, Alliance players join with King Varian Wrynn, embittered by the loss of Bolvar, and invade the city via the sewers to , and perhaps, Thrall himself.
Ultimately, though Varimathras and Putress are both defeated, and Jaina Proudmoore is able to prevent Varian from attacking Thrall, hostilities between the Horde and Alliance are renewed as the king of Stormwind declares war.
- Blight Overload - The caster is overloaded with Blight.
- Blight Barrel - Throws a Blight Barrel at the foe, dealing 4163 to 4837 shadow damage and inflicts 1850 to 2150 shadow damage every sec. for 6 secs.
- Unholy Frenzy - Increases an ally's attack speed and damage dealt by 50% for 20 sec.
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
His first appearance was as a level 80 elite at the new apothecary camp on the Terrace of Light in Shattrath City during the Echoes of Doom Scourge Invasion, where he is involved with the following quests:
- Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!
- Now, all can see... this is the hour of the Forsaken.
The Battle For Undercity
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: KILL THEM! My work must not be interrupted!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: Stare into the abyss, and watch as it blackens your souls!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: You are no match for my creations!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: This cannot be happening!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: It will not end like this! I have worked too hard! So many years... I... I will consume more energy!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: The power washes through me! I see... EVERYTHING!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: MORE SUFFERING AWAITS!
- Both versions of Deathbringer Garb, the warlock Tier 8 set, are recolors of Grand Apothecary Putress's outfit.
- One of Putress' quotes seems to be inspired in Nietzsche's quote of And when you gaze long into an abyss, then the abyss also gazes into you.
- Putress' mask may be a reference to the crow masks worn by plague doctors during the Black Death.
- Patch 3.0.3 (04-Nov-2008): Removed from Shattrath City.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Added in Shattrath City for pre-release Scourge Invasion event. Added in Undercity for  quest.
|Removed with Patch 3.0.3
Master Apothecary Faranell
Chief Apothecary of the Royal Apothecary Society
Master Apothecary Faranell