The Hozen are a race of monkey-like creatures native to Pandaria. They are mischievous in nature, often playing pranks on the local pandaren. They play a major role in the dungeon, Stormstout Brewery, which they have overrun. When Horde players arrive at the Jade Forest, they hope to make a partnership with the Hozen for resources. They have historically raided the Jinyu and have been longtime enemies.
At the height of their empire, the jinyu held close ties with the hozen. Both agreed to help the other withstand the onslaught of the mogu. Yet on the eve of the jinyu's final stand against Lei Shen, the hozen betrayed them. The jinyu's so-called allies had secretly pledged their loyalties to the Thunder King in exchange for preferential treatment ( a promise that was never kept). This act of treachery ensured the jinyu's defeat and ignited a bitter racial feud between them and the hozen that would last for generations.
The Hozen are uncannily dexterous foragers and hunters who dwell in clans among treetops and mountains of Pandaria. They’re extremely short-lived (their elders are often no older than twenty) and their society lacks roots (and rules) as a result. Uncouth and impulsive, Hozen nonetheless play, live and squabble together... at least, until their clans grow so large that they collapse into multiple smaller groups.
The other races of Pandaria are careful to avoid Hozen hunting grounds, as their notoriously short tempers grow even shorter when their hunger pushes entire clans, including elderly and young Hozen, to ravage food sources outside of their territory, either gathering enough food or seeing enough Hozen die in the process to ensure the survivors’ continued health.
It's not known how Hozen came to be, but their origins can be speculated to came from one of these sources:
- Monkey that drank water from Vale of Eternal Blossoms, just like Jinyu evolved from Murlocs the same ways. Thay are also sometimes referred as Monkeys. Monkeys are of the more "intelligent" Beasts. Evolution tree listed below:
- Murloc + Waters in Vale of Eternal Blossoms = Jinyu
- Monkey + Waters in Vale of Eternal Blossoms = Hozen
- Another likely origin is they were simply another race that the life blood of Azeroth created, and they just so happened to resemble beastial primates, just like the Tauren resemble cows and the Pandaren resemble... well bears.
- Broketooth tribe
- Fe-Feng tribe
- Grookin tribe
- Knucklethump tribe
- Kunzen tribe
- Ookin tribe
- Oona tribe
- Silverback tribe
- Slingtail tribe
- Patch 5.0.4 (28-August-2012): Added.
- ^ Preview Panel for Mists of Pandaria at BlizzCon 2011
- ^ Dungeons and Raids panel. WoW Dungeons and Raids Panel. Retrieved on 2011-10-21.
- ^ Boubouille 2012-03-19. Mists of Pandaria Press Tour. MMO Champion.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 82
- ^ Bestiary. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site (US). Retrieved on 2012-03-19.