Player vs. Environment, commonly referred to as PvE by most online games and gamers, is the player-controlled character (you) competing against the game world and its computer-controlled denizens, as opposed to Player vs Player. To the PvE focused player the primary challenge comes from tough mobs like instance bosses rather than other player characters.
- Additional notes
- Player vs. Environment is the dominant form of MMORPG games.
- Blizzard refers to PvE servers as "Normal" servers.
- Also incorrectly known as "Player vs. Everything/Everyone/Elemental".
- In some online games, PvE is known as Player versus Monster (PvM for short).
PvE also refers to the PvE type of realms which are realms where "consensual combat" generally prevails. This means most players will only engage in PvP combat if they choose or do some action that enables their PvP flag.
See PvP flag for more information.
Pros and cons of PvE realms
- Some players consider being able to play with no risk of random player vs. player combat a pro. You can level and train skills without interruption. If you are a casual player who just wants to play the game and train with less interruption, then PvE realms may just be for you.
- If you prefer Alliance-favored population imbalance, research has shown that the population of PvE realms are much more prone to be Alliance weighted, with population ratios often hovering around 2:1. 
- Such distasteful practices like corpse camping, ganking, and griefing tend to be less prevalent.
- Some players like the thrill and risk of random player vs. player combat, and would consider PvE realms to have a difficulty that is too low.
- Less motivation for grouping, since solo play is much easier. Contested territories in PvP realms encourage group play since guarding and holding farming, questing and resource sites requires more coordination.
- If you prefer more population balance, research has shown that the population of PvE realms are much more prone to be Alliance weighted, with population ratios often hovering around 2:1.
- Although created by BellularGaming, these videos were posted on the official WorldofWarcraft channel.