WoWWiki is a wiki dedicated to cataloging the Warcraft universe (with a focus, though not priority, on World of Warcraft); covering the entire Warcraft series of games, RPG reference books, strategy guides, trading card games, comics, novels, and short stories. Get up to date on the latest World of Warcraft expansion! Look up that epic item or recipe. Share tips and tricks!
View full main page
the free Warcraft universe source that anyone can edit
WoWWiki content portals
Macros & Web
|Death Knight||Demon Hunter||Druid||Hunter||Mage|
Legendary Pictures has just released the San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive character art of Durotan and Lothar from the upcoming Warcraft film.
"The peaceful realm of Azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: Orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their family, their people and their home. Warcraft will be released in June 2016."
Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) and written by Charles Leavitt and Jones, the film starring Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, Ben Schnetzer, Rob Kazinsky and Daniel Wu is a Legendary Pictures, Blizzard Entertainment and Atlas Entertainment production.
- Press release:
- For more information, see Warlords of Draenor.
This fall, World of Warcraft players around the globe will clash with the legends of Warcraft’s brutal past when Warlords of Draenor charges into stores worldwide. Azeroth’s heroes can prepare for the coming onslaught today by pre-purchasing the expansion digitally. Players who answer this call to arms will receive their character boost to level 90 immediately†, allowing them to join friends on the battlefield or experience the latest content from a whole new perspective.
The fifth expansion to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game leads players to the untamed world of Draenor, where the orc warchief Grommash Hellscream is forging his twisted Iron Horde into a world-shattering weapon of conquest. Faced with seemingly insurmountable odds, the champions of the Horde and the Alliance must establish a base of operations on Draenor and seek out courageous allies to make a stand against Hellscream’s mighty war machine.
“We’re sending players deep into uncharted territory with Warlords of Draenor,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “New features like the Garrison will give players a commanding role in the Warcraft saga like never before, and everyone can get in on the action right away with the included level-90 boost. There’s never been a better time to go to war for the Horde or the Alliance.”
When Warlords of Draenor launches this fall, it will introduce a wide variety of epic features and content for players of every kind, whether they’re longtime veterans or new recruits. With the expansion, players will be able to:
- Explore a Savage World: Explore the hostile world of Draenor, home of the orc and draenei races, as it once existed, and adventure in all-new zones alongside characters central to Warcraft history.
- Build a Garrison: Construct, command, and expand your own customizable stronghold on Draenor, and gather NPC followers to collect resources and embark on missions on your orders.
- Instantly Upgrade to Level 90: Upon pre-purchasing the expansion, boost one character of your choosing to level 90, making it easier than ever to enjoy the latest content together with your friends.
- Step Into New Character Models: Character models and animations for World of Warcraft’s original playable races are being fully revamped while maintaining the game’s iconically epic style.
- Adventure to Level 100: Reach new heights of power and unlock bonuses to further enhance your abilities on your way to the new level cap of 100.
- And More: Take on a wide array of Dungeons, Raids, Scenarios, Battlegrounds, Challenge Modes, and more, no matter what kind of content you enjoy, new adventures await.
Warlords of Draenor will come in a Standard Edition (physical and digital versions available), which players can pre-purchase now at a suggested retail price of $49.99. Players also have the option to upgrade their pre-purchase to the Digital Deluxe Edition (SRP $69.99), which contains the following in-game bonuses for World of Warcraft and other Blizzard games (each available in-game at the time of pre-purchase):
- World of Warcraft—Dread Raven Mount and Dread Hatchling Pet: Swoop down from the dark of night on the black-winged Dread Raven, a mortal progeny of Anzu, and devour your prey in your next Pet Battle with the adorably ferocious Dread Hatchling.
- StarCraft® II—Warchief Portraits: Summon the strength of two of the most fearsome Iron Horde warchiefs—Grommash Hellscream and Blackhand—as you clash in the Koprulu sector in StarCraft II.
- Diablo® III—Warsong Pennant: Brandish this battle-torn pennant on your back, and channel the rage of the Warsong Clan against the demonic forces of Sanctuary in Diablo III.
Players who pre-purchase either the digital Standard Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition from Blizzard will be able to immediately boost one character of their choosing to level 90, allowing them to experience the latest World of Warcraft content alongside their friends. Players who wish to boost multiple characters to level 90 also now have the option to purchase additional level-90 character boosts directly through the game at $60 apiece. Boosted characters will receive:
- 150 gold
- 4 s
- A stack of 20 food items
- Full set of spec-appropriate Item Level 483 gear
- If a boosted character was already level 60 or above, their existing Primary Professions and First Aid are bumped up to level 600, as mentioned above
- A faction-specific flying mount—a traditional Wind Rider for Horde or Gryphon for Alliance
- Artisan flying—that’s one rank below max flight speed
- Northrend, Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms, and Pandaria regional flying skills trained
Warlords of Draenor will also be available in a retail-exclusive Collector’s Edition, which comes equipped with the digital bonus items from the Digital Deluxe Edition as well as a full-color hardcover art book, a behind-the-scenes two-disc Blu-ray/DVD set, a CD soundtrack, and a Warlords of Draenor mouse pad. The Collector’s Edition will be available at select retailers for a suggested retail price of $89.99. Players should check their local retailer for details and availability and be sure to lock in their preorder, as supplies are limited.In addition to the English version, Warlords of Draenor will be fully localized into Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Italian, European Spanish, Russian, Korean, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese.
Continuing our coverage with a semi-late blog Time flies when you're scrambling to different panels for different games - here's some of the info we had yet to blog about, but thanks to our hard working community here, is likely already placed on their respective home pages!
- Mostly wintery hills and jagged peaks with occasional volcanoes
- Horde role is evict the ogres from Bladespire Fortress
- This stronghold will serve as the main Horde hub
- Home of the Frostwolf clan and their rivals, the Thunderlord clan
- Dry, desolate desert of stone and steam vents
- Home of the Blackrock clan who will try to harness the steam vents to build thier machines of war
- Lush jungle that would be laid waste and transformed into the Hellfire Peninsula in the original timeline
- Home of the Bleeding Hollow clan
- Rolling, moonlit hills
- Alliance role is to save Karabor (we know it as the Black Temple today)
- This is a draenei holy temple and will serve as the main Alliance hub
- Home of the Shadowmoon Clan
- Center of the Arakkoa civilization
- So far we don't know much about what this zone looks like
- Home of the Shattered Hand clan
- Green plains and rolling hills
- Home of the Warsong clan
Flex raid is the future and Blizzard will be expanding on it with a new raid system:
- Raid Finder: 10-20 man flex raids
- Normal raids: 10-20 man flex raids
- Heroic: 10-20 man flex raids
- Mythic: 20 man raids (non-flex)
Ashran, a small island to the east, will be the PvP zone. It is described as "how old Alterac Valley was"
- Staging area near the Dark Portal
- Faction bases and hotspots, with real-time monitoring of important areas
- Described as a PvP "sandbox"
Though the same system will remain in place regarding farming honor for gear, they're adding in a "bonus random" component as well, meaning the gear you're working for? It may be rewarded to you earlier.
Greetings from Anaheim! We've managed to survive the first bit of BlizzCon and have some great news about the next Warcraft expansion: Warlords of Draenor (ps - The Dark Below was a hoax). I know everyone just wants to get to the meat of the news, so here we go!
Remember ? Yeah, who doesn't? Well, if you thought he would roll over and stay imprisoned indefinitely, you are dead wrong. Garrosh escapes imprisonment and, thanks to a "friend" that can bend time, hops back to where it all began: before the opening of the Dark Portal.
To what end, though? One might think his motives pure (if one hadn't met him) as he wants to prevent the orcs from drinking the blood of Mannoroth. That's all well and good, but his true reason? To unite the orc clans within Draenor, arm them with modern-day technology, and then bring them through a Dark Portal that is tweaked to dump this new Iron Horde into our time. Not to have tea, but to crush the Horde and Alliance.
You may be rolling your eyes and sighing just a touch if you think he'll be the main boss of the expansion again, but fear not: Chris Metzen has been kind enough to shoot that theory down. There is a "man behind the man" that we'll be meeting.
New stuff and systems
- Level cap raised to 100
- New player models
- High priority to keep the soul of the original models
- Higher fidelity
- Greater facial detail
- WoW version of Player housing!
- Build your own base on Draenor
- Collect followers
- Have them run missions/quests/dungeons, etc.
- Have them gather or craft
- Many ways to collect them
- Level them up through missions
- Increase their gear ilvl once maxed out
- They have abilities and traits
- Integrated directly into the world
- Rewards: epic gear, own piece of land, unique benefits from buildings, limited access to professions you don't have (like placing a mine)
- Garrisons can be expanded over three tiers
- Select which buildings you want
- Building can be upgraded and have specialization when reaching maximum rank (3)
- Example: Inn - find new followers, access to cooking
- Interact with followers and buildings
- Monuments and trophies showcasing things like achievements/kills
- Create or boost a character to level 90
- With purchase, boost a new or existing character to 90
- Inventory updates
- Adding Heirlooms, toys, and maybe tabards to collection panel
- Sortable bags (designate bags for certain items, such as vendor trash, gear, etc.)
- Quest items no longer stored in bags
- Craft directly from the bank
- Adventure Guide
- Reveal opportunities for character progression (better gear, instances, professions, reputation, etc.)
- Next steps to get achievements, explore, finish quest lines, etc.
- New dungeons and raids
- Homeworld of the orcs before it was shattered into Outland.
- Heart of the draenei civilization
- A brutal, primal world of giants
- 7 new zones
- Goal is to defeat the Iron Horde before they can come through the Dark Portal
- No new playable races or classes announced
- New (and some familiar) races and creatures include the following:
- Chieftain: Durotan
- Based in Frostfire Ridge
- Chieftain: Ner'zhul
- Based in Shadowmoon Valley (but not as you know it!)
Continue reading here.
- World of Warcraft: What's Next
- World of Warcraft Arena Global Invitational
- World of Warcraft: The Adventure Continues
- Art of World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft Raids, Gameplay, Questing, and More
- Warcraft Movie Presentation: presented by Duncan Jones, the director
- Heroes of the Storm Overview
- Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive
- Heroes of the Storm Live Matches
As promised, more realms have been connected:
New Connected Realms Coming *Updated | 2013-10-17 00:00 | Bashiok
Next Realm Connection Pairs:
- Balnazzar and Warsong
- Gurubashi and Aegwynn
- Dalvengyr and Dark Iron
- Garithos and Chromaggus
- Onyxia and Burning Blade
- Maiev and Bloodscalp/Boulderfist
- The Warcraft package will now include World of Warcraft: Cataclysm; Mists of Pandaria will still have to be purchased, but this should make it a little less prohibitive for new players to join.
BlizzCon 2013 is right around the corner, and today Blizzard Entertainment opened doors to the pre-sale the Blizzard Store. The assortment of items includes a Diablo III backpack, a WoW mahjong set, a handful of cute plushies, and various art books, among other things. If you were lucky enough to get a physical ticket or purchased a virtual ticket, the sale will run from October 11 through November 9; remember additional items will be added as time goes on.
If you are lucky enough to be an attendee, consider heading over to the Meeting Stone to see who else is going, plan any meetups, or gloat (well, maybe not that...). There will also be a physical Meeting Stone at the conference:
Find Your Friends at The Meeting Stone | 2013-10-08 00:00 | Zarhym
Blizz is rolling this out slowly, measuring the technical limitations and adjusting accordingly. Once they have it nailed down and the bumps smoothed out you can bet they'll be quicker with these sorts of things.
It doesn't look like it's been widely publicized, but according to Irish Central it appears the powers that may be are eying Colin Farrell for the Warcraft Movie. Was he mentioned in our fan-made Warcraft Movie Actors list?
It turns out Vivendi, the company that owned majority stakeholder in Activision Blizzard for a bit o' time now, has been given the green light to sell most of their ActBlizz shares back to the game company as well as an investor group led by Bobby Kotick. The deal was stalled earlier this year and sent to court, as at least one minority shareholder thought other minority shareholders should be included in the decision. A lower court judge supported that, but now the higher court has overturned the verdict, and it's expected the sale will happen momentarily, before the Tuesday deadline.
Vivendi will still hold a 12% stake in the company.
If you were lucky enough to attend Comic-Con recently, Blizzard released a very short video blip about the Warcraft movie. Judging by news reports, it wasn't really a trailer as opposed to a "mood piece", but the excitement is building. No one's been permitted to show the clip online, but here's a short description:
Warrior roaming an empty desert with a shield on his back. Greenish sky is covered by dark clouds and lightning. He sees a pile of armor on the ground and lands down to pick up a shield. He then takes his sword and beats it against the shield, as though calling someone out. We then see a green beast from behind holding a giant hammer. The two circle each other and then both charge. As they are about to collide the title appears: Warcraft...PC Mag
From what little information has been released it's speculated that the movie will be a combination of live action with some hefty CG thrown in.
Forbes, among others, is in a constant state of wondering if Warcraft will move to the free-to-play option, considering their recent admission that they're working on an in-game store for players:
5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items? | 2013-07-08 00:00 | Bashiok
Items have already reported relating to xp buffs and an alternate means to acquire Lesser Charm of Good Fortune. It will be released to the Asian market first, but there's no reason or indication to believe it won't open up to other markets.
But does this mean Blizzard is moving to a free-to-play scheme soon? Not likely. Sure, subscriber numbers are down, but the game still supports a massive population. I suppose the cynic may point out that the company is looking for a back up once the inevitable happens, and maybe that's true, but it won't be for many years. And as for the pay-to-win argument? Blizzard already quashed those rumors a while back when the first in-game pet showed up at the store.
- Be sure to also swing by our Know Days page to vote on the contents of swag boxes (Fantasy, Heroes, and Sci-fi) offered by Loot Crate with a chance to win one!
Heads up, Warcraft fans!
Can you imagine a world where World of Warcraft items like , , or the were real? We definitely can. That’s why we’re asking Warcraft fans to nominate their favorite items from the series to include in a Community Wishlist.
Please comment on this blog with your favorite items from the Warcraft universe. The item HAS to be tangible — if it was real, you’d have to be able to hold it in your hands. Some good examples include:
We’ll be narrowing down our list based on the popularity of nominations — so, even if someone else has already nominated the item of your choice, make sure you nominate it again!There’s a lot to choose from, so get nominating!
Hey there, fellow WoWWikians and Warcraft fans!
Please nominate as many foods as you want via the comments. Remember: this is a menu for a gaming food-themed party. The more realistic the entries, the better. Be creative!
Here are the details:
- 1. Pick your favorite foods.
- 2. Post your nominations in the comments below. Remember, the more realistic and original- the better!
- 3. We will accept entries until December 2, 2013. Wikia staff members will vote on the top entries and will create a new blog with polls on Recipes Wikia for everyone to vote! Once the polls close, we will post the winning menu.
Nominate foods on other wikis:
I know the way the wiki calculates the page count is a mystery and potentially sketchy, but when the number shows 99,000 (which happened yesterday, 30-October-2013) it is a ton of pages!
What does this mean? Not much in the larger scheme of things, but it does mean we're very close to the even bigger number: 100,000 pages. So you may get harassing notices from the admins about a push to 100K. We'll definitely try to make it part of a contest with some kind of prize or prizes. Most likely it will be some swag from BlizzCon 2013, but who knows?
WoWWiki hit around 50K pages in late 2007, only about 3 years after it started, so growth has clearly slowed since then. So many pages to add! After BlizzCon I'm going to look into ways to make adding content easier, especially filling in those super-complicated templates that make WoWWiki look so good, but also make it harder to add stuff that looks nice. Some ideas include better boilerplates (including new ones for things like battle pets, glyphs, etc.), third party tools that work with your browser to quickly fill-in stuff (on the Mac, I use TextExpander), and if possible, some in-wiki tools (like better pre-loads or template entry UI).So how soon can we get to 100K? I'm guessing after BlizzCon, we will get there pretty fast just to keep up with announcements.
Over the past few months - actually since the beginning of the year and then some - we've been working on making improvements to the site. Some it is for aesthetics while others are for ease of use and greater functionality. Read on for a more detailed listing of what we've worked on!
Perhaps the biggest and most complicated project was working out how maps work on the site. Working heavily with code-wiz Pecoes, we mapped out how we wanted things to function and came up with some nice shiny tools that readers should find useful.
- Shops and other areas of note
Click on the above maps to expand them into their own lightbox. The maps and legend respond to screen size. You can look via the legend or on the map itself; either way you'll get the location you need. You can also locate coordinates yourself by passing the mouse over the map. The symbols on the map are now standardized, so going from page to page you should be able to recognize at a glance those things most important to you.
This functionality also allows us to size the maps however we need on the page.
We figured it was hard using the coordinates template at times to see exactly what location was being pinpointed due to the size of the hover map. Now, when you click on the coordinates shown on a page, the same new map lightbox will open and the exact coordinate will show on the map.Here's an example: [70, 58]
Notice the map hover functionality is still maintained.
The golden color also matches another template devised that works directly with map images:
Sometimes our table of contents can be rather large, or maybe they just look out of place on some screens. Even then, for really long pages, you'd have to either scroll through to where you want to continue reading or go back to the TOC at the top.
Here's what we did (you can test it with this page's TOC!):
- Clicking on the small square icon within the TOC will detach the table. You can move this anywhere on the page you want, and the content shifts to accommodate the empty space.
- Clicking the arrow button will return you to the top of the page.
- Clicking the reset button will return the box to its original detached position.
- Clicking the "x" will reattach the TOC as it would normally appear, docked, on the page.
- When scrolling through the page, the box stays fixed, meaning no matter where you are, you'll always have it at your fingertips. This way you can click on any of the TOC links at any time, without having to scroll all the way back up to the top.
- What if you don't want it detached? Well, click on the small icon immediately to the left of the edit link on any header and you'll be sent right back to the TOC.
Other classes, such as pet classes, will have additional information. Some even have extended information, TCG images, racial advantages, etc.
As of now, this is still a work in progress, but the end result is that hopefully every page will eventually have the rewards (armor/weapons/items) presented like this:
This item is a reward for the following class/spec:
This makes it easy to tell at a glance what class and spec the item is intended for.
Up in the top right of the site is the search bar. Now we have an image placed within that will reflect either the current expansion (so Mists of Pandaria for now) or the current in-game holiday. This dovetails nicely with the change in wordmark that occurs with each holiday.
Just in case you missed it, here are some other changes we worked into the site:
- Adding 3d model viewing support, partnering with wowhead
- Greatly enhanced blogs that are featured on the main page
- At-a-glance improvements to infoboxes to show normal, elite, rare, and rare elite
- Incorporating TCG image parameters into templates; creating a TCG box for pages where this was not possible.
If I've missed something, it's because we're busy working on things almost all the time. We've got some plans for future tweaks that we hope you'll find useful!
August 31, 2011Ideas to bring subscribers back to World of Warcraft by Fandyllicread more...
- I will try to keep this blog post up to date and modify it based on commentary.
- ^ Miss Mediocre 2011-08-04. Wow… I’m Kinda Done With WoW…. Miss Mediocre (blog).
- ^ Boubouille 2011-05-10. WoW Loses 600k Subscribers, Diablo 3 Beta Q3 2011, Arena Passe, Blue Posts. MMO Champion.
- ^ Greg McClanahan 2011-05-15. WoW in Decline and Blizzard in Denial. Gamasutra.
- ^ Matthew Lynley 2011-08-03. World of Warcraft subscribers fall for second straight quarter. VentureBeat (GamesBeat).
- ^ MMOData Charts v3.4 Subscriptions : 1m - 12m
- ^ A well documented post about Blizzard's past stated support for twinking, but recent lack of support: Korette 2011-07-30. Low levels are unacceptable - Blizzards commitments. Official Battlegrounds and World PvP forum (EU).
- ^ Wryxian 2011-08-11. Low lvl pvp is pathetic, just plain pathetic.. Official Battlegrounds and World PvP forum (EU).
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. World of Warcraft® Battle Chest®. Blizzard Store (US). Retrieved on 2011-07-14.
Help, policies and guidelines
WoWWiki is a wiki dedicated to cataloging Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe, including World of Warcraft, covering the entire Warcraft series of games, RPG reference books, strategy guides, novels and other sources.
Want to help out? Get an account, and start editing!
Aion • Aura Kingdom • Battlestar Galactica Online • Bearwood Park • City of Titans • Club Penguin • Club Penguin Rewritten • DC Universe Online • Disney's Toontown Online • Dragomon Hunter • Dragon Nest SEA • Dragon's Prophet • Echo of Soul • EVE Online • EverQuest 2 • Fallen Earth • Final Fantasy • Forge of Empires • Habbo • Horse World • MapleStory • Marvel Heroes • Moshi Monsters • Old School RuneScape • Ragnarok Online • Revelation Online • Roblox • RuneScape (Classic) • Skyforge • Star Citizen • Star Wars: The Old Republic • TERA • Tibia • Toontown Rewritten • Tree of Savior • Voyage Century Online • WildStar Online • Wizard101 • World of Warcraft • Xen Online
Want your community included? See how!