A spell is the caster's stock-in-trade. Spells are magic incantations or effects conjured up by whatever game mechanism the developers allowed. Supposedly modeled after fantasy, myth, and legend, spells have various effects. Spells can do different kinds of damage, or healing. They can also cause beneficial effects (aka buffs) on friendly characters, or harmful effects (aka debuffs) on hostile mobs.
Spells are also used in many different ways depending upon which game (World of Warcraft vs. other Warcraft games) one is playing.
Types of spells by class
Types of spells by school
- All spells have a school that indicates the sphere of effectiveness or resistance.
- Most spells have a Casting Time that varies depending on the spell. Some spells are Instant Cast, while others are channeled, causing the effect over the entire casting time.
- Some spells require reagents.
- Most spells have ranks that indicates a relative effectiveness level.
- Spell hit chance.
Q & A
- Q: What is the difference between an spell and an ability?
- A: A spell has an effect that falls in a school of magic. Spells consume mana in normal use. Most spells can be interrupted or suppressed with silence.
- Q: What is the difference between a spell and a power?
- A: Powers come from items or mobs and tend not to result from professions or skills.
- Q: What is the difference between an spell and a profession or skill?
- A: A profession or skill may affect the nature of a spell, but will not directly produce spell effects or consume mana.
- Q: Do items cast spells?
- A: No.