Taunt Can mean several things in World of Warcraft.
- Main article: Aggro
Taunt can refer to the class abilities that allow players to attract attention of a mob. They include the following:
- Death Knight's Dark Command and Death Grip.
- Druid's Growl and Challenging Roar.
- Hunter's Distracting Shot and their tenacity pets' Taunt.
- Paladin's Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense.
- Warrior's Taunt, Mocking Blow, and Challenging Shout.
Other classes have high aggro abilities that generate set amount of threat. They include:
- Hunter pet's Growl.
- Hunter pet's Intimidation.
- Warlock Voidwalker's Torment.
- Druid's Faerie Fire deals high threat while in Bear Form.
These abilities do not function identically. "True" taunts both force a mob to attack the taunter for a few second and give the taunter enough threat to top the aggro list. Other abilities (Challenging Roar and Shout, Mocking Blow) compel temporary attacks but do not give aggro; if the taunter fails to build aggro quickly, the monster will go back to its previous target when the effect expires. Still others merely generate a large chunk of threat, but do not compel mobs at all.
- Taunts have no effect on player controlled characters (Death Grip has a partial exception in that it will still move a player's character, but will not force that character to attack the Death Knight.) Players' pets, however, CAN be taunted, allowing some level of Tanking to be applied to PvP situations.
- Using /yell to call members of the enemy force Bad Names during PvP Raids.
- Note: The enemy force only see gibberish when you do this, so it tends to be a bit lost on them, but they get the general idea.
- Using the slash command /taunt to show an animation and play a sound that would be spiteful to an enemy player. /chicken and /rude are similar.
- Useful marcos include (but are not limited to):
/cast Challenging Shout
/y I slept with ALL your Mamas!
/y I would have been your daddy, but a dog beat me over the fence!
(this will look to other players as though Mobs were responding to your insults)