|See also: guidelines, administrators|
This page is an official policy on WoWWiki.
This policy has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
WoWWiki definition of vandalism
This is the definition of vandalism for the purposes of this policy:
- Removing valid content without explanation or an explanation that makes no sense.
- Items listed in the Do not post policy.
- Pretending to remove other vandalism content in order to prevent cleaning. This includes minor edits or minor removals while leaving a bulk of unwanted content ("spam"), but making a comment as if you removed the unwanted content.
- Continuing a particular behavior or practice after being warned or 'asked not to' by moderators.
- Any edit or change otherwise made in bad faith, is deceptive, or purposefully degrades the surrounding section, page, or wiki as a whole.
An act of vandalism can be removed or reverted with only a comment in the edit summary identifying the type of vandalism (usually spam, unexplained deletes, etc.). Disagreement with the edit should be posted in the related discussion page. Cleaners will be added to the honorary Cleaners category, unless they request to be removed.
- BEFORE YOU START REVERTING VANDALISM: Please read "About reverting vandalism".
Record of vandals
Vandals should have their user name added to the known vandals list with a some note on the type or level of vandalism and optionally any cleaning information.
- If the user is seen to be posting with non-malicious intent, they should get a warning from the admin before a block occurs.
- If the vandalizing user is obviously controlled by a bot, the block will be indefinite.
|# of Acts Vandalism||Block Time|
|1 act||7 days (168 hours)|
|2 - 5 acts||1 - 3 months|
|6 - 10 acts||6 months|
|11 - 19 acts||1 year|
|20+ acts||∞ (permanent)|
Note that the above list is a guide and the length will also depend on the style of the vandalism.
Appealing a block
Appealing a block may be done in a few ways:
- On your talk page (if it is un-blocked)
- By e-mailing an administrator (or other direct method to contact the admin if it is available)
- On the IRC channel